Old February 25th 07, 02:57 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Dee Flint Dee Flint is offline

Default Feb 23 Test Results

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 24, 11:40 am, "Dee Flint" wrote:
Well I've had a chance to tally the test results for my Feb 23rd session
in Oak Park, MI

24 candidates total. 21 for upgrades, 3 for new licenses

Dee ~ These three are the meat & potatoes of the matter, the 21
upgraders being no-counters as far as the growth or shrinkage of the
hobby is concerned. Supposedly the idea behind the elimination of the
code tests is to draw new blood into the hobby, folk who would
otherwise not bother with becoming licensed yes?

The 3 testing for new licenses is, for all intents and purposes, what I have
had at test sessions before the rules changed. Although one datum is not
sufficient to really draw any conclusions, this does not bode well for
growth.

The way I see it there's a market research opportunity here which
needs to be explored and exploited. It strikes me that it's data from
the VE sessions which at least in part point the way to growth
strategies.

Not that only three individuals at one VE session on the first day out-
of-the-box is statistically significant and indicative of any kind of
long-term trend of course. All that aside I'm interested in knowing
what compelled these three individuals to go for ham tickets yesterday
- if you happen to have that info. Former hams "coming back in"? CBers
"moving over"? SWLs? Kids? Geezers . . . ?

Unfortunately with such a large group and limited time for use of the
facility, there was no time for chit chat. We administered 27 written tests
in addition to those who were just doing paper upgrades. I do know that one
of the three was a former ham (Tech+) as he mentioned it when he
pre-registered. He is one of the individuals who passed both Element 2 and
3, thereby earning his General ticket.

2 failed on the upgrade exam
1 failed on new license exam

2 achieved General as their 1st license by passing both elements 2 and 3
at this session.
14 upgraded to General from Tech via test or CSCE
5 upgraded to Extra from Tech via test and/or CSCEs

Dee, N8UZE

w3rv

The individual reporting from Manitoc, WI (?) gave similar results, heavy on
upgraders and very light on new licensees. We'll have to wait and see what
the future brings but "early returns" would suggest simply a change in
upgrading patterns and no change in new licensees.

Dee, N8UZE