Old February 26th 07, 02:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Richard Knoppow Richard Knoppow is offline

Default Hardware Question

"COLIN LAMB" wrote in message
nk.net...
I have a knurled nut wrench, which I purchased to remove
the knurled nut on my KWM-380. It was a high quality
driver. However, no matter how hard I tried, I could not
remove the nut. There simply was not enough contact. I
finally had to use a pair of pliers and destroyed the
knurled nut.

That led me to not want to reassemble the switch using the
same technique. I ended up using a nice 12 sided nut. It
looks fine, though not original.

So, my KWM-380 is now non-standard. That does not bother
me too much since I also have non-standard boards inside.

Colin K7FM

If its possible to get to the back of the switch you can
try to loosen the back nut, usualy a regular hex nut. I've
also had some success by using a pair of pliers padded with
tape. Also, try a drop of WD-40 around the threads of the
nut. Let it soak in for a few minutes.
Some of these trim nuts are so thin that putting much
pressure on them with pliers will distort them and make them
very difficult to remove.

--
---
Richard Knoppow