Old February 27th 07, 06:43 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Roger Roger is offline

Default killing cars with RF?

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 13:43:34 +0000, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message ,
writes
Kenneth P. Stox wrote:

I ran into one of those guys last summer, not just one but two antenna's
as described. I chatted with him a bit and found out he was running a
10KW CB rig. I was incredulous until he popped open the hood to show me
the 5 alternators running off the engine to power it. The engine was

Dear sweet heavens. astonished whistle Wonder what sort
of gas mileage he got. :-)

Well, 10kW = 13hp.
Allow 50% efficiency for the TX, so there's 26hp.
I don't know about the alternator - 70%?
That makes it 37hp before the vehicle moves.
Ian.

We run multiple belts to propellers from engines running that much
power. :-))

When I get my plane done...Glasair III (fiberglass with carbon fiber
horizontal stab) I plan on having up to 500 watts on HF and I'd really
like to make it 160 watts on 2-meters. 30 to 50 is plenty on 440.
However I have a longggg way to go.

In the Beech I just run the HT clipped to the inside of the door which
leaves the antenna sticking up in the window. With that set up I
typically get 50 to 75 miles with 5W FM and the rubber duck antenna.
The problem with the antenna in the window is it tends to be pretty
directive...without any gain. I've worked 150 miles with 5 watts
from 22,000 feet, but that wasn't in my plane which has a service
ceiling of only 19,500.
(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com