Old February 27th 07, 09:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark Richard Clark is offline

Default tuner - feedline - antenna question ?

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 16:51:21 +0000, Ian White GM3SEK
wrote:

For that matter, almost all measuring instruments abstract some energy
or power from whatever they are measuring - but that is usually
incidental. It certainly does not make every instrument into a power
meter.

Can you not see this?

Hi Ian,

As a trained metrologist, I've seen it far closer up than you. I've
accurately measured the physics of technology out to more decimal
places than most, and there is nothing incidental about it - it is
quite fundamental. In fact I've encountered a spectrum of conflicting
and interfering physical principles to every measurement that had to
be accounted for to obtain that accuracy.

I dare say none here can equal the accuracy of my bench work at RF
Power measurement here, even those with a shelf full of digital meters
used as bookends for their library.

To wave a
hand and say NOTHING does not make it so.

To wave another hand and say traveling waves of power exist does not
make that so, either.

Your counter is not an argument for their inexistence.

The examples of "traveling waves of power" abound, even to the trade
craft of antennas. Examples of "traveling wave of power" are classic
in whole to the explanation for the operation of the standard
Directional Couplers (to distinguish them from the Bruene design).

There are more such examples, but the Directional Coupler is quite
suitable to their class, and its operation satisfies the proof of
power flow in both directions. There are other examples outside of
this class that also provide proofs; and they are based on physical
principles as well (polarization and magnetic moment).

Traditionally, these points pass in silence until some later time when
we visit them once again.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC