Old February 28th 07, 01:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark Richard Clark is offline

Default tuner - feedline - antenna question ?

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 01:01:55 GMT, Owen Duffy wrote:

By "line loss" I mean the ratio of power at the load end of the line to
power at the source end of the line, not "forward power" or "reflected
power", but the average rate of flow of energy at those points.

Hi Owen,

What's wrong with conventional terms so that we BOTH know what you
mean? The convention would call this Mismatch Loss. If you dispute
this, then it serves my complaint. Further, convention has no
interest in "forward power" nor "reflected power" except as expressed
as SWR. I thought I was quite terse in this regard.

So, to your challenge:
The problem is 1m of Belden 8262 (RG58C/U type) at 3.5MHz with three
loads, 50+j0, 5+j0, and 500+j0.

Well, as I've pointed out, it is not strictly in the terms of my
challenge, is it?

The loss for 50+j0 load is 0.025dB (equivalent to the Matched Line Loss).

Sigh... parentheticals?

What Line Loss to you get for the other two cases?

(I make it 0.24dB for 5+j0, and 0.014 for 500+j0.)

An additional 0.1dB However, this example strains the utility of the
challenge.

Let's try a perverse challenge.

Presume a source of 100+j0 Ohms impedance sees a 50 Ohm line that is
5.35 wavelengths long and is terminated with a load of 200+j0 Ohms.
The normal attenuation of the line is 2.00 dB. What is the loss in
the line?

Can your general solution solve this? It uniquely describes both the
kinetics of reverse power flow AND the impact of source resistance.

No one has every answered this one correctly, by the way (and I can
anticipate you are ready to spring that observation on me with your
source feeding essentialy a voltage oriented high Z load as opposed to
the current oriented low Z load).

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC