Old February 28th 07, 03:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jim Kelley Jim Kelley is offline

Default tuner - feedline - antenna question ?

Richard Clark wrote:
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 05:05:47 GMT, Owen Duffy wrote:

If you read and understood the article, you would see that the instrument
is based on sampling the V/I ratio at a point, and that being surrounded by
transmission line is not important to the principle of operation, in other
words, it does not directly measure a reflected wave.

Hi Owen,

Can you express it without the presumption and still carry the
argument? I have read and understood many treatments on the topic,
and none claim to be the sole and unadulterated truth as it is
generally understood that many analyses work simultaneously and none
deny the validity of the others.

You have not yet actually offered any treatment that denies the bone
of contention that lies in two subject lines:
1. Reverse power is manifest;
2. The source will absorb and dissipate it.

You may have struggled with others over this in times past, but by
your own descriptions they had little intellectual horsepower, and
less experience in the matter.

I have attended schooling specific to these issues, and have practiced
professionally in their measure to the highest of standards. My peers
have instituted national metrology laboratories in your half of the
planet (OK, so it was Korea).

I have measured SWR with Bruene designs (as vulgar as that is);
Directional Couplers, Slotted Lines; and power with half a dozen
different style of sensors, and as many different methodologies. I
have also calibrated these instruments (all of them including the
vulgar Bruene designs). I can separate out the constituent waves (in
spite of the denial of their existence) by several means - each
appropriate to the problem at hand. I can measure excessively high
SWR precisely where others would shrug and simply call it infinite (it
isn't). I can also reduce residual SWR (anyone know what that is?).
I've done this over a spectrum from nearly D.C. to 12 GHz. And I get
a chuckle out of a claim for 0.014dB loss when I know full well
through experience it is unverifiable, unmeasurable, and hence
unproveable except in a spread sheet as a statistical curiosity.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Hi Richard,

Not that I dispute anything here necessarily, but I would like to know
how you went about measuring the reflected power dissipated within a
source. Also, how the power being dissipated?

Thanks and regards,

Jim, AC6XG