Old March 1st 07, 12:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Stefan Wolfe Stefan Wolfe is offline

Default USMC Waxes Part 15 Devices

"K4YZ" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Feb 26, 9:51?pm, "Stefan Wolfe" wrote:
wrote in message

ps.com...

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/02/26/sig....ap/index.html

One could take the garage door opener manufacturer to small claims
court...and win...unless the manufacturer specifically warned that their
system could be rendered useless anytime at the discretion of the
military
(which I highly doubt they did). A good attorney might even consider a
class
action lawsuit on this one and make lots of money. The manufacturers knew
the risk and gambled. Their customers lost.

But who are you going to sue?

You would sue the one with deep pockets, probably the manufacturer but it
could also be home depot or sears or wherever one purchased it.

This has gone around-and-around before and the "consumer" always
comes up on the short end of the stick simply because the manufacturer
DOES show up with a copy of the law under their arm, demonstrates that
their device IS in compliance, and that is, as they say, that.

It is compliant, yes. But it doesn't work. That is the basis of the suit in
small claims court.

It's a simple matter to engineer in additional filtering, but
with extra filtering comes extra cost. However with the transmitting
unit restricted to the radiation limits of Part 15, it still won't
take much in a strong field to overcome even rudimentary filtering.

The manufacturer can then be ordered to provide all customers with a free
filter upgrade, depending on what the judge says.

Good luck with the case, though...Do let us know how it goes.

Well, I'm not doing the suing...but I would if it happened to me, believe
me.