Old March 1st 07, 09:49 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Owen Duffy Owen Duffy is offline

Default tuner - feedline - antenna question ?

Richard Clark wrote in
:

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 08:11:30 GMT, Owen Duffy wrote:

Now, are you prepared to post your solution?

Hi Owen,

Your quick computation of 3.3 dB is suitably close to my reference's
first pass solution (3.27 dB), but it neglects the contribution of the
source's resistance.

The solution is 4.9 dB.

Reminding you that your question was "What is the loss in the line?",
check your own post.

Well, you posted an answer, not a solution. It wouldn't have been your
solution anyway, because it looks like it is copied straight out of a
book.

Looking at Reference Data for Engineers, Sixth Edition, p24-12, Example 3
(which is the same as the problem you posed), they give the answer as
3.27dB.

I am happy that my answer rounded to 3.3dB is correct.

The source resistance has no influence over the line loss at all.

You posed this problem as difficult and one that no one has ever got
right. No wonder, you have a different answer to the the book!

Owen