Old March 1st 07, 02:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jon Kåre Hellan Jon Kåre Hellan is offline

Default Effect of raising vertical antenna higher

"Tam/WB2TT" writes:

"Comcast newsgroups" wrote in message
. ..
Hello all,

I have a mono-band 20-meter vertical currently mounted only about
12 feet up (less than a quarter wave). There are 4 radials and it tunes
very well - very low VSWR across entire band, with decent signal reports.

Question: If I were to rent a cherry picker, I could mount the thing on
the end of the peak of my house, at about 40 feet up. That would put the
bottom of the radials at greater than 1/4 wave.

But would I notice any difference? If so, would it be potentially
dramaticly
better, or just 'technically' better? It would be a major project to do,
so I'm
trying to decide if it would be worth it or not.

Thanks,

Dave WB7AWK

Download the free version of EZNEC, and run simulations at both heights. I
would look for differences in gain and vertical radiation angle.

Tam/WB2TT

Don't forget that by raising the antenna, you avoid obstructions from your
house, neighbouring houses and foliage. I suspect those can be
significant.

73 de LA4RT Jon