Old March 1st 07, 05:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jim Kelley Jim Kelley is offline

Default tuner - feedline - antenna question ?

Cecil Moore wrote:
Jim Kelley wrote:
Most engineers equate the units of power to power, i.e.
joules/sec = watts and so does the IEEE dictionary.

I can't speak for most engineers, but I think the first time I saw it
was in high school physics, and of course later in engineering school.
That was about 35 years ago. I think of it a fundamental concept -
one that I happen to understand very well. Not unlike the
relationship between Joules and electron-volts.

But I
am content to assert that the joules in the joules per
second of a reflected wave is real energy. Do you disagree?

I don't agree that the terms power and energy become interchangeable
by virtue of the fact that their units can both be expressed with the
word Joule in them. One can find himself making unrealistic
predictions if he is not precise in his application of the ideas which
underlie these terms.

73, ac6xg