Old March 1st 07, 07:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore Cecil Moore is offline

Default tuner - feedline - antenna question ?

Jim Kelley wrote:
Cecil Moore wrote:
I think it depends on how long the energy has been flowing. But in the
steady state it's rather like posing this question: With a forward speed
of 200 knots, and with a headwind speed 100 knots, would you agree that
the apparent airspeed of the aircraft is 300 knots?

Of course, I was talking about steady-state conditions.
And I can prove that there is exactly the amount of
energy stored in the transmission line necessary to support
the forward joules/sec and reflected joules/sec readings.

Why violate the laws of physics to try to come up with some
other more esoteric explanation than forward and reflected
EM traveling wave energy moving at the speed of light?

It's kind of a boring problem though. Personally, I think it's more
interesting and enlightening to consider what goes on prior to steady
state.

That's exactly what I have done. During the initial transient
build-up period, *exactly* enough energy is supplied by the
source to the transmission line to support the steady-state
forward and reflected joules/sec - no more and no less. If
the source is disconnected during steady-state, the energy
stored in a lossless transmission line is dissipated in the
load during that final transient decay period.
--
73, Cecil, http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp