Old March 2nd 07, 06:40 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Your name Your name is offline

Default Scanners missing messages and not getting the full message.

"RedPenguin" wrote in
oups.com:

Is that normal for scanners to sometimes just miss messages even
though a scanner next to it is getting the message and the one is just
sitting there doing nothing? My mother has a 10-13 year old radio
scanner desktop that sometimes seems to get messages in our house
before my scanner gets it or my scanner will repeat it (Uniden
BR330T). I noticed when I listen to my local bus, it seems my Uniden
will sometimes miss a part of all of a message but my other scanner
doesn't seem to miss as much with it. I know it misses because when I
sit on a bus, the driver's radio hears everything but while a message
is playing on the driver's radio, my scanner is picking up nothing or
waits a while to hear anything. Can the bus be blocking my scanner and
the bus antenna be outside? I noticed AM radio and shortwave is almost
dead on the bus, why? You can hear scanners in cars I believe, so why
not buses?

Does the more channels worsen the scanner?

Desktops tend to have better sensitivity than handhelds, but thats a general
statement.
The only way to really compare would be to tap into the same antenna feed.
Turn down the squelch as far as you can, make sure theres no ATT engaged, and
thats about all you can do with a handheld ... Though frquently upgrading
stock antennas helps too.