Old March 3rd 07, 06:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Day Brown Day Brown is offline

Default Long range rural wireless high speed data options...

Without clear Line Of Sight do not exist. I intend to solve that
problem. If I do, I'll get rich. The equipment now being offered is
not deigned by people who live in rural ares, but engineers who, at
best, are in suburban office parks.

Right now, I'm using the satellite data from hughes.net. Its not the
high speed bandwidth advertised. The power supply was designed to be
plugged into the wall. [that's a period] But if you live out here, you
know the power goes out. but if you plug their power supply into your
UPS, you find the damn thing blocks the next two backed up power
outlets. Hello?

I've tried the 900mhz wireless transceiver. which needs a clear LOS
(Line of Sight). I like living in the woods; and I'm not going to
clearcut just so I can get a clear line of sight to the ISP
transmitter tower. Hello?

I also have a place in a deep hollow by a spring fed trout stream. No
way will any of the commecially available wireless transmitters work
down there. You cant even use a cell phone. Hello?

No, I'm thinking about 180 mhz, kinda close to TV channel 8, but...
out here, the nearest TV channel 8 transmitter is 300 miles away.
Besides, TV antennas are being scrapped all the time; everyone is
switching to Dish TV. Out in rural areas, RFI/EMI from ham gear no
longer bothers anyone watching TV.

Besides, seems like there mite be pulse emitters/detectors that work
at this speed. No Carrier wave, no IF. Technically, its *NOT*
"radio". Ordinary tuners would ignore it; it aint AM nor FM. A 12 db
antenna would be about 13' foot long. Awta go 30 miles to an ISP in
some town that stays up serving users on the weekends. I've tried all
three of the local small town ISPs, which have a nasty habit of
crashing on friday nite, and not coming back online til monday
morning.

I called "support" one time to bitch, and mentioned that I used Linux.
The response: "What's Linux?"

But what's the best option to go from full duplex into the PC? will
the standard LAN multiplex at 180mhz? RS232?