Old April 16th 04, 11:58 PM
Steve Nosko

wrote in message
On 16 Apr 2004 02:59:40 GMT, (Fumper) wrote:

What walkie has the broadest / best trans / recieve capabilities?
Thanx Steve

I chose the Yaesu VX-5R because it was *almost* the broadest... the VX-7R
was, by my standards, but the audio quality suffered.

... VX-7R
- transmitting on 6m, 2m, 1.25m (300mw only, sorry) and 70cm
- dual receive
- receive 0.5-999mHz
(729-800 and cellular blocked in US, cellular blocked for non-US version)

I have the Kenwood TH-F6A Played with my son's and couldn't resist.
Pretty much will receive anything, but don't know how it compares with the
VX-7R. Just don't expect a high performance front end. It is very
sensitive, but has pretty low third order...will die downtown Chicago.
- Tx on 2m, 222 & 440 == 0.05, 1 & 5W. all bands
- Dual Rx
- RX 0.100 MHz - 1300 MHz !
- AM full range, CW USB/LSB(below 470 MHz), FM(Above 27MHz),
WFM(Above 50MHz)
- 399 memories

I have the local VHF/UHF TV audio, FRS, AM & FM broadcast CB19, O'hare
Approach control, Unicom, WWV, CHU and the local 903 and 1296 beacons with,
of course, the local public service and good ole' ham repeaters. NO, it
doesn't do trunking (:-)
Take the battery off and hardly anything is left!

THIS is what they USED to call "General Coverage" not "wide band". To me
"wide band" is a description of the receiver filters, not the tuning range.
When was this re-defined???

--
Steve N, K,9;d, c. i My email has no u's.