Old October 29th 03, 12:18 AM
jj

Default What Exactly is a Radio Wave?

This may at first sound like a stupid question. But after some years
as a radio enthusiast, I don't know what a radio wave is - what it
really is. Supposedly, modern physics does not believe there is such
a thing as "action at a distance". In other words, if you launch a
radio wave and I intercept it, there must be a transfer of "stuff"
between you and me. You can't just say that if I wiggle an electron
at point A, I can cause a wiggle at the same wiggle rate at point B.
I mean you can say it, but it doesn't explain anything.

OK, so the latest science says that electromagnetic energy is really
particle-waves. I guess this means that when I transmit, my antenna
is firing particles in the form of low-energy photons (energy
packets), and that these photons do not really exist anywhere but
exist only as probability waves - until, of course, someone intercepts
the wave. Then, magically, the photons appear at the receiving
antenna, in which they manage to produce oscillating electrons.

So, the best I can ascertain is that radio waves are really
probability waves. I'm not sure that really helps with an intuitive
understanding. Does anyone have a good description for what a radio
wave really is?

- JJ