Old March 4th 07, 02:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Dee Flint Dee Flint is offline

Default A "Codeless Revolution?"

"KH6HZ" wrote in message
There will ultimately be two classes of ham radio license.

Tech, and Extra.

Or Class A and Class B. A VHF+ entry-level license, and a license with all
privileges.

Just as I suggested in my Y2K NPRM restructuring comments, I might add.

I disagree. My bet is that we'll indeed have a de facto two level license
system but I think they will be General and Extra. The step from Tech to
General is not that difficult and the licensee will have access to all
modes, power levels and bands. Unless you are into DXing, contesting or
being a VE, the additional privileges that Extra licensees have are not that
much of an advantage.

I, for one, encourage all those studying for Technician to go ahead and get
the General study guide and go for it either at the first sitting or as soon
as possible thereafter. The Technician will be basically turn into a very
temporary way station on their climb up the ladder.

In my opinion, the Technicians who stay at that level will primarily be
those who are inactive.

Dee, N8UZE