Old March 4th 07, 04:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
John Smith I John Smith I is offline

Default Sorry, but this is an actual policy issue posting...

Post, fax or e-mail your response by 1900 UTC, May 15, 2007, to ARRL
Chief Technology Officer Paul Rinaldo, W4RI, 3545 Chain Bridge Rd --
Suite 209, Fairfax, VA 22030; Fax: 703-934-2079.

My goodness, now they attempt to jump into the present millennium!

Well, at least they have a starting point. Strange though, all they
have to do is look where 56K modem technology dropped off when HS came
about and 90% of their work is done. Not to mention just duping the HS
technology.

Ogg Vorbis is an example of sound compression/encoding technology which
matches or exceeds the quality of MP3's and it is NON-proprietary.

Linux or windows is suitable as the OS, but Linux is free ...

What I don't like is the arrl immediately jocking for front position in
the development of the technology. Let the little amateurs who are
capable develop the technology. If you listen up at a VHF and beyond,
you will already see that some didn't wait and such voice packet
communications go on--WITHOUT the arrl.

I believe the CRC32 cyclic redundancy check is still used and is proved
and non-proprietary.

JS
--
http://assemblywizard.tekcities.com