Old March 5th 07, 05:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Joel Kolstad Joel Kolstad is offline

Default Long range rural wireless high speed data options...

"Day Brown" wrote in message
ups.com...
Without clear Line Of Sight do not exist. I intend to solve that
problem. If I do, I'll get rich.

There are plenty of solutions presently available, you're just saying you
don't like the price tags attached. That's understandable enough -- and there
is certainly money to be made if you can come up with cheaper solutions.

Right now, I'm using the satellite data from hughes.net. Its not the
high speed bandwidth advertised.

If you call them up and offer to pay lots of extra money, I'm sure they can
fix this for you. :-) Still, satellite bandwidth is expensive -- even the
military tries hard to avoid using them except in situations like yours, where
there simply is no other easy way to get data in and out of a remote area.

The power supply was designed to be
plugged into the wall. [that's a period] But if you live out here, you
know the power goes out. but if you plug their power supply into your
UPS, you find the damn thing blocks the next two backed up power
outlets. Hello?

You can get short (~6") "extension cords" that fix this problem (see:
http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/s...categoryID=35), or you
can get a power strip that has some of outlets spaced for wall warts. Almost
any store today will carry those.

I've tried the 900mhz wireless transceiver. which needs a clear LOS
(Line of Sight).

Only to get the maximum range. :-) Granted, the difference in usable distance
between LoS and "straight through a bunch of trees" could be 100:1.

I like living in the woods; and I'm not going to
clearcut just so I can get a clear line of sight to the ISP
transmitter tower. Hello?

ISPs are a business; they're not going to provide some "alternative" solution
for your needs unless they think they can make money off of you. This is one
of the things you have to accept when you chose to live in a remote
situation -- *everything* gets more expensive, and some things -- like
high-speed Internet access -- do so quite disproportionately (you know, this
is kinda why the whole idea of "towns" was invented in the first place? :-) ).
Think back to only 10 years ago, when trying to get a 3Mbps Internet
connection in a big city would have run thousands of bucks per month -- today
it's about $55!

You might write your local senator or representative and ask that they pass
some "rural high-speed Internetification act," but I wouldn't get my hopes up.
:-) (Like the REA many years ago...)

Besides, seems like there mite be pulse emitters/detectors that work
at this speed. No Carrier wave, no IF. Technically, its *NOT*
"radio".

It doesn't matter what you call it, the FCC regulates it. The pulse systems
you describe are similar to how UWB (ultrawide bandwidth) radios work, and
they're very much regulated by the FCC.

I guarantee you that if you start transmitting high-speed pulses and a high
enough power,
Ordinary tuners would ignore it; it aint AM nor FM.

This is highly unlikely: A high enough power pulse will certainly show up as
interference to any other radio system, even if it is just a brief "scratch."

A 12 db
antenna would be about 13' foot long. Awta go 30 miles to an ISP in
some town that stays up serving users on the weekends. I've tried all
three of the local small town ISPs, which have a nasty habit of
crashing on friday nite, and not coming back online til monday
morning.

Well, hey, more power to you if you can get it working... but don't coming
crying to us if the FCC does hit you with some huge fine or a group of
vigilantes spikes your coax and blows your transmitter.

I called "support" one time to bitch, and mentioned that I used Linux.
The response: "What's Linux?"

That's not surprising. Especially in a rural area, I suspect the number of
Linux users is probably well under 1%... you might as well have called them up
and asked if you could use your Atari ST with their services.

But what's the best option to go from full duplex into the PC? will
the standard LAN multiplex at 180mhz?

Define "standard LAN?"

In general protocols like Ethernet perform poorly when connected directly to
wireless links: Being originally designed for wired systems, the protocols
assume a very low bit error rate, which is exactly the wrong assumption to
make for a wireless system. Hence, the throughput tends to drop like a rock
unless you have a completely "solid" link.

I think you'd be best off doing the following:

1) Lose the attitude. It isn't helping you and just turns other off; you'll
receive much better responses if you simply state your situation and what
you're after rather than disparaging so many things, even if they do deserve
it (save that for after it's all working and you're kicking back with your
friends at a bar).
2) Plan on building yourself a tall tower such that you can mount a microwave
dish on it and hit a tower back in town. With WiFi at 2.4GHz, 30 miles is
probably a stretch, but at least you'll find there's a *lot* of support for
people doing it... and the equpiment to do so is reasonably inexpensive.
You'll still be looking at thousands of dollars here -- perhaps $10k --, but
if you have a, say, $250k home, just pretend it's part of your mortgage. :-)
3) Start visiting the nearest neighbors you *do* have. Many of them would
probably be interested in high-speed Internet access as well, and many would
be willing to contribute financially to your cause. Additionally, you might
consider doing some "mesh network" sort of approach, so that your signal only
has to make it to the next house, which relays it to the next house, etc.
4) If you get an amateur radio license (quite easy these days), you can
legally start pumping enough power at 2.4GHz that 30 miles will become easy.
This makes your Internet connection easy, although it then subjects the
content of that connection to all those amateur radio rules about not using it
for fiduciary gain, encrypted communications, etc. Many people will not be
unduly restricted by those rules (it's still OK to, e.g., buy stuff from
Amazon.Com... at least if you avoid the https: site? -- it is a little dicey
here).

Good luck... let us know how it goes...

---Joel