Old March 6th 07, 06:22 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Day Brown Day Brown is offline

Default Long range rural wireless high speed data options...

Of course, I already had the power strip. My point was that the power
supply was designed by engineers who didnt think about where it would
be used. I have other power supplies, like for the printer and scanner
that have both input and output cords that dont crowd out anything
else on your UPS.

And of course, part of the reason I ended up living out here was that
it was so cheap. Even now, land can be had for less than 1000$/acre.
Hardly any of the real estate ads are for homes & property over 250k.
Lotsa other old hippies in the woods who never made much money, never
will, but we can afford to live here.

There's lotsa 34 ft TV antenna masts laying around behind the barns
since folks put in the dish TV. Lotsa 12' foot booms for Yagis too, to
be had for scrap metal prices.

I can see where you all with your licenses and equipment mite be
worried about the FCC, but not out here. Its 100 miles to Little Rock
if you wanna take a Ham exam. Why should the bureacrats runnin the FCC
these days be any more competent than those running FEMA or The VA?
And if I make this thing cheap enuf, there wont be any *money* in it
for them coming out to get me. My ass aint worth anything, and I dont
have clear title to the land. All they'd get would be 20$ worth of
scrap metal.

Back when we used CB radios to talk to each other, we bitched to the
FCC about jerks in urban areas putting *1000* watts on a CB channel.
Where was the FCC then? No, man, out here, we are off the radar map. I
dont expect any help from the Arkansas public service either. We dont
have the votes, and we dont have the money, so they dont care what we
do.

The way electonic parts prices have fallen, it'll prolly cost me more
to put up the antennas. And without a tuned yagi, none of the
commercial tuners will pick up anything. If anyone has a more
appropriate forum to raise these questions in, I'd be grateful, and
quit bothering you.