Old April 21st 04, 05:19 PM
Evan Platt

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 09:39:22 +0200, "Roger Conroy"
wrote:

However, your analogy with drivers licence test questions is a bit off
base...
Not knowing how to convert between frequency and wavelength is much more
fundamental than knowing the distance to dip your lights.
Its rather like being uncertain about the difference between a steering
wheel and a spare wheel.

Well, to you - yes. To me? No. My operations are primarily HT. I have
a few installed mobiles. They work fine with the antennas I've bought
from friends, so I know they're tuned for the frequency I needed - I
went to my friend, told them I need a antenna for xxx mhz, and he gave
me an antenna. But now let's say I have an antenna that I know is WAY
too long for the frequency I want it on - i.e. I'm taking a 42 mhz
antenna I want to cut to work on 220. For the life of me, I couldn't
recall the length of the antenna.

So, for someone who 99% of the time uses their HT, and then decides to
go mobile, the length of a mobile antenna may be akin to how many feet
in front of a intersection they can turn. Prior to this thread, if
someone would have asked me on the street the formula for cutting an
antenna, I would have guessed somewhere around the right number, but
nowhere near exact.

Evan