Old March 7th 07, 07:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David Eduardo David Eduardo is offline

Default WLW AM ranked #1

wrote in message
oups.com...

Even your fellow IBOC shills know AM-HD is dead - From Mike Walker
avsforum today:

The viable stations in the top markets are almost all using HD on AM. The
others don't matter.

"rwagoner we probably won't get to know. The AM System ain't exactly
setting the world on fire because you can't use it at night,

AM listening at night is insignificant, even lower than FM listening at
night. It does not matter...

and it
causes massive adjacent channel interference.

.... to stations that are not being listened to anyway.

Add to that the fact
that it reduced audio quality for 100 percent of the CURRENT AM
audience,

Many engineers, including Bob Orban, have shown that most consumer radios
are down 10 db at 4 kHz, so reducing the bandwith makes most of these sound
BETTER.

and why would we even consider this turkey?

Because, below around age 45, AM is pretty much dead, and above age 55, it
is not salable.

As for turning
off analog, why EXACTLY would you do that, when it's analog AM, the
oldest and most robust of mass electronic media, that EVERYONE can
receive, and that can be relied upon to be ON THE AIR, and offering
LIFE SAVING INFORMATION after a disaster?

Actually, today, FMs are less vulnerable to disasters than AMs

HD is analog / digital compatible, just like FM analog stereo. There are no
immediate plans to go all digital. It is not DRM. In fact, I have never
heard any broadcaster even discuss truning off analog.

Do we really want to turn
off analog, and leave the poor, aged, and infirm who can't afford the
latest digital doo-dads, or maybe don't even know about them, with no
source of emergency information????? There is no higher calling (in
radio) than providing emergency information...to EVERYONE!"

Again, this is not part of future planning at the station level.