Old March 7th 07, 11:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dan Yemiola AI8O Dan Yemiola AI8O is offline

Default Using a tower as a J-Pole for 20 or 40 Meters

I like people who think big.
Go for it!

If you actually do this, a report back to this NG would be appreciated.
Dan
AI8O

"Eric" wrote in message
news

Have any of you tried using a tower as a J pole antenna for 20 or 40
meters?

According to calculations, it looks like a 50-foot tower would be about
right for 14.1 MHz with a 16.6-foot matching section that could be made
out of aluminum tubing and spaced out about 1.5 feet.

This should make a decent low-angle radiator without needing any buried
ground wires (which would be difficult to put in around here).

Then I thought maybe a taller tower, perhaps 80 feet, with a triband beam
on top, could perhaps be made into a J-pole for 40 meters with the beam
acting as a hat.

Obviously I haven't thought this through very much but I was just
wondering if any of you had tried any of this or knew of any articles or
websites that describe such a project.