Old October 29th 03, 04:10 AM
Cecil Moore

Roy Lewallen wrote:
"Things on a very small scale behave like nothing that you have any
direct experience about. They do not behave like waves, they do not
behave like particles, they do not behave like clouds, or billiard
balls, or weights on springs, or like anything that you have ever seen.
. . Historically, the electron, for example, was thought to behave like
a particle, and then it was found that in many resepects it behaved like
a wave. So it really behaves like neither. Now we have given up. We say:
'It is like *neither*'"

OTOH, quantum physics predicts the outcomes perfectly and has never been
proven wrong so it doesn't matter what we call photons. If you really want
to understand this stuff, you need to read a good book on string theory. May
I suggest _The_Tenth_Dimension_, by Jeremy Bernstein or catch the two NOVAs
that were on tonight.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp