Old March 8th 07, 07:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
an old friend an old friend is offline

Default just another stalking thread

On Mar 8, 2:09�pm, "
wrote:
On Mar 8, 8:30?am, "KC4UAI" wrote:

On Mar 6, 8:04 pm, John Smith I wrote:

To Whom It May Concern:

Following is a message taken from RRAM. ?My REJECTED response to that
message. ?And, a message from the automaton on WHY the message was rejected.
snip
Your message has been rejected because you posted into a thread that had
strayed off topic and was closed by the moderators. All messages from
all posters, posted to this thread, are autorejected, and this rejection
does not single you out in any way.

Please read the charter of rec.radio.amateur.moderated at:

? ? ? ?http://www.panix.com/~rram/usenet/rram/index.html

Please direct any queries to .
snip

John,

So your message was rejected because the thread was closed.... I don't
see a problem with that.

* *Not if one is a moderator. *:-(

* *Try understanding that not everyone is a daily participant
* *in any newsgroup. *They may be absent for several days.
* *Those non-daily participants MAY have something cogent
* *and meaningful about a discussion topic. *A solution to the
* *"closed thread" could be a simple posting that a particular
* *thread has been closed by "the moderators."

* *Such a message does NOT have to be the multi-screen
* *multi-quote and link-full messages usually sent. *Let's not
* *waste any more time for anyone with all this very-NON-
* *instant messaging.

* *I've been a participant in computer-modem communications
* *for 23 years on BBSs, private networks, and the Internet
* *carried "usenet" newsgroups. *Yes, I've also been a moderator
* *on some large local BBSs and know what it is like. *You WILL
* *get angry denunciations from the dissatisfied. *TS. *The skin
* *MUST grow tough and thick to do the job.

* *Now there is a "board" of moderators...more likely one has
* *their "turn in the barrel" for a day, checking up on content.
* *If the "board" wanted to do a good job, go out on PATROL;
* *i.e., roam the territory and, if something irritates them, try
* *sending warning messages privately, then publicly. *It is
* *better than simply "closing the doors" and not saying
* *anything to anyone in public.

If you do, please appeal the decision and it will be reviewed by the
board, who are not involved in any of the day to day moderation
decisions.

* *The "board" ought to get its act together as a unit...work
* *on this "moderation" as a cohesive unit, not a disparate
* *collection of individuals relying on some (unknown)
* *program "robocop" checking out the post content of
* *those NOT on the "white list," sending out private e-mail
* *notices, and generally wasting time with all this "appeals"
* *busy work which can take days.

* *What we've got is a fine medium for written comms to
* *spread at the speed of light but a bunch of overseers
* *busy with overkill on content so that days and days
* *pass along with extreme interruption of a thread subject.

* *Now, if the "moderators" can't tell the difference between
* *middle-school machismo sex talk along with personal
* *insult and invective compared with heated discussion on
* *polarized subject threads...just give up. *I don't think all
* *the "organized officialdom pontification" is going to do
* *its job effectively. *Unless "effective" is a re-definition of
* *one-sided, nice-nice group think that is far from
* *DISCUSSION as it can get. *George Orwell had a point
* *with both novels "Animal Farm" and "1984."

* *On "moderation" I've been there, got lots of T-shirts,
* *wore out a few. *The "moderated newsgroup" idea is
* *nice only in theory but, in practice, it is just trying to
* *re-invent a wheel...one that has lots of flat sections
* *on it. *That's been done before and hasn't worked well.
* *The "board" may be an innovation but all those "appeals"
* *are just time-wasting busy work. *Think about it.

* *73, AF6AY- Hide quoted text -

just another stalking thread
http://kb9rqz.blogspot.com/