Old March 10th 07, 09:45 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Antonio Vernucci Antonio Vernucci is offline

Default Isolation of guy wires

It would require multiple beads at each point, and at multiple points. While
it could be made to work, it would be heavy and expensive. That's why egg
insulators or non-conductive guys are used instead.

While in a balun a reactance of say 1000 ohm would be more than adequate for the
purpose of avoiding radiation (or reception) by common-mode currents, in the
proposed application (guy-wires) a much higher reactance would be required. As
a matter of fact at the top of the tower, where there is a voltage peak, the
impedance is very high, and the guy-wire insulator (either an egg or ferrite
beads) should then show a very high reactance value (probably in the region of
tens of thousands of ohm) not to disturb the antenna.

I never played with ferrite beads, but I have a rather strong feeling that such
high reactance values are hard to obtain at 3.5 MHz just using beads.

73

Tony I0JX