Old March 10th 07, 09:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
terryS terryS is offline

Default ARC5

On Mar 3, 4:08 pm, (Michael Black) wrote:

But it's silly today to be critical of what was done to them back then
because things are meant to be used. We bought comic books and read them
and wore them out and threw them out; we didn't keep them in plastic and
never read them. We bought equipment and put it to use, and if things
weren't to our liking, modified them, and if things broke down, they
got fixed and nobody felt a need to keep things exact. And people got
value out of all that surplus equipment that came out of WWII, precisely
because it was cheap and in large quantities. Because things are made
to be used. Michael VE2BVW

..
That was then. This is now. Comments were written in the vein of
vintage radio preservation ; and what are 'Boat Anchors' and any
interest in them, but vintage items? There are probably not that many
'unchopped' Command units around now.
If you want modern go buy an Ipod, cell phone or satellite DAB
receiver etc.
Preservation too not for the dollar value but the aesthetic and
cultural value of having at least a few of items of historic interest,
in as original form as possible.
But also to look at $ value; of vintage cars, for example. Especially
if in good restored condition and especially if all the vehicle serial
numbers match!
And particularly when it is not 'necessary' now to chop up older
radios. Even if you don't have one of those aircraft mounting Command
Set racks (Which came AIUI in 1,2 and 3 set versions) it is possible
to have very neat non-intrusive out board arrangements.
I recall for example that postwar one could buy a power transformer
specifically for these sets with a 24 volt heater winding. Although
there are a number of ways of obtaining that voltage.
In the early 1950s, as an untrained and not very skilled 14 year old,
made a separate power supply (in a vented wood and Masonite box with a
B+ milliammeter IIRC) and out boarded the RF gain, CW switch and
headphone connections. My beautifully made BC455 was untouched!
Have fun.