Old October 29th 03, 01:39 PM
Thierry

"Reg Edwards" wrote in message
The moral is - DON'T USE A G5RV.

Specially one with any coax in the feedline.

If you've bought one, you've been robbed.

Hi,
At first sight you never uses a G5RV. You opinion is completely false and
will induce novices (and other if I beleive you) in error.
So read this and learn from the master, G5RV himself :
http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry/qsl-g5rv.htm

I confirmed over 250 DXCC in one year with the G5RV at less than 100 W PEP
from 80 to 10m, including WARC. It works ! Not as a beam of course. But very
well for what it cost (about 100 euros). That stays an excellent
investissment, not necessary if you are hunting DX (away that to say 8000 km
in low solar acticvities like now) or want to participate in all contests
(that stays a dipole than I work barefoot) but for ragchewing in local QSO
(inside a radius of to say 5000 km) it is perfect. With an average emitting
power of 50W or so, most hams receive me in voice 59 or more, even 57 up to
VE, east K, VP5, FY, YB. More far the signal decreases (53 and less). But
this is a beam after all.

Thierry
ON4SKY, LX3SKY

Use a random length dipole, longer than about 1/3 of the wavelength at the
lowest frequency of interest. Choose a length which makes best use of the
size of your backyard. Take the 450 or 600-ohm balanced line all the way
back to the shack. You will need a tuner and a choke balun at the tuner.
For multi-band operation you will need a tuner whatever you do.

If you find it inconvenient to feed the dipole in the middle, and you have

relatively low local noise level, then feed it at one end and make an
Inverted-L of it. It will then very likely work very well also on 160
metres.

And you will never think of using a G5RV again !

By the way - Louis Varney, G5RV, a real genuine English gentleman, now

no
longer with us, designed his antenna to work most efficiently ONLY on

14.15
MHz, perhaps the best day-or-night, all-year-round, any part of the

sun-spot
cycle, DX frequency. It's very good. And you may not need tuner even with
the coax. Works great with the old fashioned TS-520 with its built-in

tuner
!
----
Reg, G4FGQ