Old October 29th 03, 01:44 PM
Thierry

"Jerry" wrote in message
.. .

"Reg Edwards" wrote in message
The moral is - DON'T USE A G5RV.

Yup! I bought one in the late 80s and found that it was the craziest

acting
thing I had ever used! It most often
drove my Yaesu tuner bonkers; other times it would
settle down to an "acceptable" SWR. I fiddled with it
for a summer, and finally threw it out.

Hi,

Sorry to say that but you experimented a bad experience or have not enough
knowledge to use it properly.
I know several OM in ON that use G5RV, W3DZZ and alike, and even longwire of
about 20-30m that have similar results than mine.
And if the G5RV is always sold (thare a dozen variantes, see my website)
after decades, there is a good reason : this is because it works well !

Never hear on bands OM working with dipole and G5RV ? There are a lot !
better, G5RV offer you the best quality/price ratio !

73's

Thierry
ON4SKY

I then made me a
75 M doublet fed with ladder line. .......it's still up there.

Jerry
K4KWH

Specially one with any coax in the feedline.

If you've bought one, you've been robbed.

Use a random length dipole, longer than about 1/3 of the wavelength at

the
lowest frequency of interest. Choose a length which makes best use of

the
size of your backyard. Take the 450 or 600-ohm balanced line all the way
back to the shack. You will need a tuner and a choke balun at the tuner.
For multi-band operation you will need a tuner whatever you do.

If you find it inconvenient to feed the dipole in the middle, and you

have
relatively low local noise level, then feed it at one end and make an
Inverted-L of it. It will then very likely work very well also on 160
metres.

And you will never think of using a G5RV again !

By the way - Louis Varney, G5RV, a real genuine English gentleman, now

no
longer with us, designed his antenna to work most efficiently ONLY on

14.15
MHz, perhaps the best day-or-night, all-year-round, any part of the

sun-spot
cycle, DX frequency. It's very good. And you may not need tuner even

with
the coax. Works great with the old fashioned TS-520 with its built-in

tuner
!
----
Reg, G4FGQ