Old March 13th 07, 03:00 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David Eduardo David Eduardo is offline

Default why not, Why Not. WHY NOT ! - Leave AM Radio Alone

"David" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 04:42:22 GMT, "David Eduardo"
wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message
OK, I went to radio-locator.com and found that there are 16 AM stations
with moderate to very strong signal levels in my area and I pickup many
more during the daytime in my small town 60 miles north of LA.

The radio-locator maps are labeled "for amusement purposes only."

Listening of a quantifiable (as opposed to "occasional") nature occurs
about
20% INSIDE the innermost red contour in radio-locator. This is proven in
market after market, on AM and FM, based on overlaying listening maps on
coverage contours.

While you can "hear" many stations if you set out to find them, the
average
listener does not put up with anything but a strong, interference free
signal... that means about 10 mv/m or more in a metro on AM and about 64
dbu
on FM.

Ventura / Oxnard is not even a top 100 market, anyway. But not a single
one
of the local stations (KOXR having the best signal day and night) even
covers, usefully, 50% of the county.

You really need to lose the numbers, pal. People listen to signals
where they can get them, even if Arbitron doesn't care about them.
The FCC is supposed to protect their service, not help you make more
money.

A. Arbitron shows whatever people say they listen to, irrespective of where
they are.
B. The signals you are griping about are outside the protected contours, and
have no guarantee of lack of interference.
C. Commercial radio only exists in the US because stations make money. If
they did not, you would have a choice of religious stations and NPR.