Old March 13th 07, 05:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.video.satellite.tvro
You You is offline

Default Puyallup hamfest report

In article ,
"Ken Finney" wrote:

The Puyallup hamfest was this past weekend (biggest hamfest in Washington
State). For the second year in a row, it seemed about the same size as the
year before. In previous years, it was shrinking about 20% a year or more.
Lots of boat anchors and other stuff that is expensive to ship, the lighter
stuff seems to all be going to Ebay. Impressions:

1. There is only one store in attendance (HRO), and they were doing a lot
of business. Other stores should consider coming as well. I guess the last
"local" ham store has gone under, they weren't there.

2. A couple of ham related from previous years organizations weren't there.

3. Most of the heavy smokers from 20 years ago, who were pushing their
oxygen carts around 10 years ago, aren't there anymore.

4. A lot of people were looking for newer stuff. Some "new technology"
vendors could make a killing. The first that comes to my mind is MPEG FTA
satellite TV. If someone had set up a demo outside, when would have been
sold out. There needed to be seminars like there was in the past. ICOM is
local, and while they had their normal nice booth, should have a D-Star
traveling road show.

5. The crowd lines up about an hour before the opening, the line winds back
and forth, and when the doors open, there is a mad rush from different parts
of the line. They really need to set up "velvet ropes" to organize the
line; one person saying "please stay in line" doesn't cut it.

6. The snack bar needs to improve. People are often travelling several
hours to attend and probably leaving early because they are hungry. They
probably should be selling coffee and doughnuts to the people in line before
the opening.

7. The "talkin" repeater was pretty quiet. I think this is a bad sign for
future growth in ham radio.

Ahhhhh, but the real "Question" on everyones mind IS.....

was KL7BB in attendance?????????