Old October 29th 03, 03:04 PM
Cecil Moore

Mark Keith wrote:

Cecil Moore wrote:
It's a pretty good antenna for 80m, 40m, & 20m. My web page shows
how the "matching section" gives a pretty good match to coax on
80m and 40m. Mine also worked well on 12m.

I guess if a 2 S+ unit deficit compared to a coax fed dipole is
"pretty good", maybe so..."The average 2 s unit loss I saw was on 40,
not 80. 80 would have been worse. I remember a field day about 4-5
years ago where they used a G5RV on 80m. This particular one,
commercially made, was pitiful. My mobile antenna would have trounced
it...Was totally useless for us.

Of course, the quality of a G5RV makes a difference. Knowing all you do
about dipoles, I'll bet you could design a G5RV that is virtually
identical in performance to a dipole on 75m and 40m. The losses due
to SWR are pretty negligible using RG8x.

One note, however. The G5RV's null off the end of the antenna is about
6dB deeper than a 1/2WL dipole on 40m. Perhaps that explains part of
your findings.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp