Old March 13th 07, 09:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design
Ian Jackson Ian Jackson is offline

Default VCXO frequency isn't high enough

In message , Uncle Peter
writes

"Anthony Fremont" wrote in message
Hello all,

I was playing around and saw that my junk box had all the parts so I
started

Get rid of the series choke and just use the small value variable
capacitor to go higher in frequency. I believe the inductance will
lower the frequency--the combination works to give an increased
VXCO range if I am not mistaken.

Pete k1zjh

If the series capacitor is very small, the oscillation will stop. In
these circumstances, I have successfully pulled VHF crystals (3rd, 5th
and 7th overtone, between 70 and 200MHz) HF by adding an inductor IN
PARALLEL with the crystal. The value will be somewhat less than that
required to neutralise (ie parallel resonate with) the parallel
capacitance of the crystal. The lower the inductance, the higher the
frequency.
Ian.