Old March 13th 07, 09:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
[email protected] AnotherBogusAccount@yahoo.com is offline

Default why not, Why Not. WHY NOT ! - Leave AM Radio Alone

On Mar 13, 7:19�am, "Brenda Ann" wrote:
"Telamon" wrote in message

For example, Washington DC does not have one viable AM station. Phoenix
has
two. Boston has, maybe, 3. Philadelphia has 3. Miami has one, and that is
stretch. Denver has 2. Chicago has 5, San Francisco has 4, San Diego has
2,
Dallas / Ft Worth has 3, Houston has, barely, 1, *Pittsburgh has 1,
Atlanta
has 1, Nashville has 1, Detroit has 2, etc., etc. As markets grow more
and
more to the suburbs, fewer and fewer stations are going to be viable.

OK, I went to radio-locator.com and found that there are 16 AM stations
with moderate to very strong signal levels in my area and I pickup many
more during the daytime in my small town 60 miles north of LA.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Now Telemon, you KNOW he doesn't want to hear facts, he wants to live in his
little dream world where everything is just as he thinks it is.

There is hardly an AM station in the Portland, OR market that doesn't cover
the entire market in the daytime. Many of them (620, 750, 910, 970, 1080,
1190, 1520) cover a much larger area. 620, 750 and 1190 are heard from
Longview, WA to past Salem, OR. 620, 1080 and 1190 are heard pretty well on
the coast as well. And I'm not talking DX'ing, I used to listen to them on a
pocket transistor radio. The weakest signal of all in the area is 1230 in
Gresham, but even they had a good daytime signal as far as the west hills,
about 15 miles from their tower. 1390 in Salem is heard well in most of the
south end of Portland, and they're only 1KW. *When I worked for Entercom, I
put up a directional loop on their studio building in SW Portland so they
could null out 1410, which was only a mile or so away. *This was so they
could monitor the result of the microwave feed they were sending down there.

What was at the time 930 KSWB in Seaside was the most popular station in
Astoria, 21 miles away, against the two local Astoria stations. *He's full
of crap when he says that nobody listens outside the market/local urban
area. That they don't show up in Arbitron is most likely a factor of
Arbitron not bothering with logging outside the primary signal.

And let's talk about FM's for just a second. *A Salem station on 105.3 used
to be heard over most of Portland. They decided to up their audience a
little bit by moving their tower site to a point between Portland and Salem,
off to the east a bit from both, and now they're considered a city grade
contour for both cities and most places in between on the I-5 corridor. They
can be heard on a car stereo solidly as far south as Eugene. *Basically what
they did to the station was turned it from a Salem local to a rimshotter and
made a big success of it.

Turn off the QRM, Gleason... we don't need it, don't want it. All it does is
cause problems for people who aren't inside your precious 'city grade
contour'.. and guy, that's a LOT of people. And we buy things. WE COUNT.- Hide quoted text -

Brenda Ann - you go get'em girl ! We sure do count, as that IBOC
shill is finding out, with few HD radios sold, and more-and-more
people complaining to people that count. I just complained to threee
AM stations today, in our area ! Let's get this ******* called, HD/
IBOC !