Old March 14th 07, 03:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
N9WOS N9WOS is offline

Default Old microwave

I have an old kitchen microwave unit whose only fault is that the
digital readout is broken. As a neophyte homebrew guy (kits only so
far...Elecraft K2, etc), Is there anything worth salvaging from this unit?

Thanks!

John
AB8O

Off the top of my head.......

The HV transformer. Output 1 to 2KV at several hundred to a thousand KVA

HV capacitor 1 to 2+ uF at several KV

HV diode. several KV PRV.

Magnetron..... I don't know what I could do with them, but I keep them
anyway. Maybe if I ever get into plasma physics, or building my own fusion
reactor, I'll be set.

A thermal limit switch that is mounted on the magnetron.

A set of large magnets that is mounted around the magnetron. The outer
magnetron casing can usually be disassembled to remove them. They can be
used to make generators and the like.

If you do remove the magnets from the magnetron, don't throw away the actual
magnetron tube. With out the magnets, it acts like a normal vacuum tube
diode. with a PRV of several KV, and a peak cathode current of up to an amp,
a pare of them would work good in a HV power supply. Filament voltage is
usually a couple volts at a few amps.

Several NO switches on the door for safety interlocks, and timer control.

A relay, or high power triac for controlling power to the transformer and
magnetron.

A light bulb that lights the inside of the microwave.

A fuse or two. Will save you a trip to town if you have another project that
blows a fuse at an inopportune time.

Sometimes a smaller transformer with about 4 to 12V ac output for powering
the timer/display.

If you are into getting the last drop out of a salvage mission, then you can
usually get a moderate number of transistors and diodes off the
timer/display board.

The only problem I have found with doing the last thing on the list, is you
tear the microwave apart, then the last thing you do is go after the timer
board. When you get done pulling all the parts off of it, and you test them
to find out what they are. (NPN, PNP........) you find one that is
bad.......... Then it hits you........That component ran the this and
that....... That bad component is why the microwave wasn't working.......
Then you have to decide if it is worth putting it all back together after
you find out what died........ I usually don't.