Old March 14th 07, 08:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design
Anthony Fremont Anthony Fremont is offline

Default VCXO frequency isn't high enough

Arv wrote:
On 14 Mar, 07:42, "Anthony Fremont" wrote:
Anthony Fremont wrote:
Doodling with reactance formulas, it appears that 20uH
(coincidence?) would offset 100pF of capacitance fairly well by
having a an opposing reactance (well resistance at this point) of
about 450 Ohms at

s/.well resistance at this point.//
It's just inductive reactance, I need more coffee. ;-)

3581kHz, the same as 100pF. I'll try putting the coil I made in
parallel and see what happens. Hopefully it won't short the
oscillator and kill my 15 year old NE602, I only have two spares.

Should I be afraid to do this? Does it need something to block DC
current?

Anthony

Your trimmer cap will block any DC flow to ground. If you are really
paranoid then put a 0.1 mfd in series with the crystal.

Doh, I see that now. For some reason I was thinking that they crystal had
both pins connected to the oscillator on the 602, and not with one leg
grounded as the circuit has it. Having yet another senior moment I guess.
Only about the tenth one so far this week.

If you do accidentally ground the crystal input terminal on that
SA602, it only pulls the base of a transistor to ground and thus turns
it off. That shouldn't hurt anything.

While you may not be able to purchase new "602's" now (they are long
ago declared obsolete) the Phillips SA-612 is the same unit and is
readily available from a number of outlets.

I saw that 612 part when I was poking around on the net. A fellow ham gave
me three NE602s about 15 years ago. I had fogotten about them and recently
found them. I even have a couple of tuning cap vernier drives he gave me.

A datasheet for this device is located at:

http://www.nxp.com/pip/SA612AD_01.html

Thanks

Arv - K7HKL
_._