Old March 15th 07, 03:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Caveat Lector Caveat Lector is offline

Default Best HF Vertical

"Tehrasha Darkon" wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 00:08:30 +0000, west wrote:

I know I can go to eham.com but I like the advice on rraa better. I also
know that this question is somewhat subjective, but if you will, please
indulge. :-)
What is flat out the best vertical HF antenna in your opinion and why?
Thanks in advance.

west
AF4GC

SteppIR. Why use a tuner to match your radio to your antenna, when you can
make your antenna match your radio?

--Teh

No Tuner i.e. TransMatch -- The SteppIRT vertical is remotely adjustable
in length, with continuous coverage from 40 meters through 6 meters - and
every frequency in between.

A vertical antenna that is precisely adjustable in length while in the air
solves the coverage problem, and in addition has vastly improved performance
over existing fixed length verticals. The ability to tune the antenna to a
specific frequency results in excellent performance on every band - and this
means the entire band, with very low VSWR. Resonant antennas must be made a
specific length to operate optimally on a given frequency. So, instead of
trying to "trick" the antenna into thinking it is a different length (traps,
coils, etc), why not just change the antenna length? This is what we have
done with the new SteppIR verticals.

http://www.steppir.com/

CL