Old March 15th 07, 04:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design
Anthony Fremont Anthony Fremont is offline

Default VCXO frequency isn't high enough

John Fields wrote:
On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 06:26:39 -0500, "Anthony Fremont"
wrote:

Arv wrote:

My W1AW receiver uses the crystal with just a 5-47 pf variable
capacitor...no inductor, and it nets right on frequency. Try
shorting

Story of my life. ;-)

the inductor and see if this gets you closer to the required
frequency. Not all color burst crystals were created equal. If
you have another crystal you might want to try it.

That seems to be the common consensus. I suspect my crystal is just
too good. ;-)

Your ferrite will not be saturating at the small amount of signal
you are sending through it as part of an SA-602 oscillator.

Thanks, I know very little about these things.

---
Here's a good tutorial:

http://www.foxonline.com/techdata.htm

Thanks John. :-) I was referring to core saturation and when to suspect
it/materials/etc, but I can sure stand to learn a few things more about
crystals too. That's pretty good information in the link you posted. If
anyone knows about crystals it should be Fox. ;-) I had never tried
pulling one high before, only tweaking them down a little to get them on
frequency. I can pull this one low several kcs without much of a problem
other than stability, but it sure doesn't want to go any higher than about
500Hz above spec. I'm going try the parallel inductance trick to see if I
can get the frequency higher, that should prove interesting. I like doing
reality vs. theory experiments. ;-)