Old March 15th 07, 11:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark Richard Clark is offline

Default Soldering and Antennas

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 21:12:03 GMT, Irv Finkleman
wrote:

Is a copper to copper contact always necessary in
an antenna or does solder provide the necessary
continuity when joining wire?

Hi Irv,

In the Navy, I taught (per the syllabus) that you made a gas-tight
electrical connection between conductors and sealed it with solder.
Solder was not expected to maintain the electrical or mechanical
connection. An example would be a Western Union Splice, then flowed
with solder.

I am disregarding the special case of magnetic
loops where RsubA must be kept low. I am also
disregarding the matter of mechanical integrity.

That pretty much conforms to what I say above. However, having said
that, Lead, Tin and other alloys are usually good conductors when used
in suitable quantity (or with sufficient surface area). There is
nothing wrong with a soldered joint in a magnetic loop, although a
soldered loop can easily be done poorly.

There are other issues of weathering of solder, and galvanic
reactions. This argues sealing the solder with rubber or synthetic
coating, and/or examining the metals involved. This is usually a rare
issue to be concerned about.

In my case I am looking at soldering radials to
a piece of copper wire at the base of an antenna, and
also adding a bit of length to the radiating
element.

What about the use of wire nuts to join wires?

They enforce the gas-tight connection and preserve the seal of that
interface through spring force, but usually in a dry environment (I
suppose you can find weather proof versions).

The antenna is an HF marconi in an inverted-L configuration.

Thanks for any advice on the matter.

Irv VE6BP

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC