Old March 15th 07, 11:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Irv Finkleman Irv Finkleman is offline

Default Soldering and Antennas

Thanks Pete -- I'm not really concerned about mechanical connection
as there will be no physical strain. Yes! I am definitely considering
'split bolt' (I call them wire nuts -- not sure where I got the
expression).

Uncle Peter wrote:

"Irv Finkleman" wrote in message
Is a copper to copper contact always necessary in
an antenna or does solder provide the necessary
continuity when joining wire?

Irv

I'd think you'd want a solid mechanical connection..
Even disregarding mechanical issues, a lightning
discharge would blow apart a soldered connection.
Have you considered using electricians' split bolt
type connectors to make the splices?

Pete

--
Visit my HomePage at http://members.shaw.ca/finkirv/index.html