Old March 19th 07, 03:23 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Jimmie D Jimmie D is offline

Default Old microwave

"Chris Jones" wrote in message
jawod wrote:

I have an old kitchen microwave unit whose only fault is that the
digital readout is broken. As a neophyte homebrew guy (kits only so
far...Elecraft K2, etc), Is there anything worth salvaging from this
unit?

Thanks!

John
AB8O

It's definitely worth keeping the transformer if you have space to store
it,
some people make spot-welders or arc welders from several microwave oven
transformers, by removing the secondary winding and winding on a new one.

I can't think of many sane uses for the intact magnetron but perhaps there
are some, given sufficient safety precautions.

I would strongly advise against applying power to the transformer with the
existing secondary winding in place, unless you can be *completely*
certain
that you won't get a shock (e.g. all components and wiring should be
inside
an earthed metal box). Those transformers will arc through clothing, will
provide more than enough current to kill you without blowing the fuse, and
the primary to secondary isolation means that earth-leakage circuit
breakers (also called residual current circuit breakers) will not protect
you. I certainly don't mean to discourage you from using the parts from
the oven but that is one appliance that really could kill you so just be
careful.

Chris

Whenever I seea few at the GOODWILL I buy them for about $5 a piece.Most
work OKand
I have given several away to churches, GS and such. also put one in my
camper and built a power supply for my 4cx250 amp.