Old March 20th 07, 05:37 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David Eduardo David Eduardo is offline

Default Let's Make Late Night AM/MW Radio Interesting Again ! - DXers Rejoice !

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

You seem unaware of the origin of overnight broadcasting. It has
nothing to do with listening, the listener or making money.

Yeah, so that's why there is no advertising at night on AM. Thanks for
clearing that up.

Actually, you willhear lots of ads.

In the syndicated shows, the syndicator gets the revenue and the staiton
gets the show for free.

In local staitons, the ads are bonus spots, added in to make a deal more
appealing.

It is enormously rare to have an actual cash buy for post-Midnight spots.
They are all value added or barter.

Altholugh I know of a few cases of momentarily profitable overnight
shows, in general it is nearly impossible to generate any revenue
overnights.

Most radio station owners are intent on losing money? Now I understand.

No, they are intent on being on the air when morning drive starts. The few
dollars that overnight broadcasting costs is vastly less than having outages
in morning drive that cost money and hurt ratings.

We don't buy insurance because we want to have a fire, do we? Overnight
broadcasting is a form of insurance.

But since everyone who can is 24/7, nobody wants to be the first to
not do it. Add to that the more irregular work hours of Americans,
and you have a reason to be on at 5 AM or even 4 AM in many cities...
at that point, why sign off?

You don't make any sense so why should anyone else.

Any station operator who has had a couple of experiences of being off at 7
AM in the middle of morning drive will not let it happen again. Among the
causes of sign on problems are the stress of applying high voltage to more
conventional transmitters, the possibilities of having a critter short the
system anywhere (they climb into ATU's, phasors, Transmitters, power
supplies, etc., at night for warmth and get fried at sign-on, taking the
gear with them...

The former Art Bell show is a nice, and free, way to fill up the
overnght hours.

Art Bell works for free. What a great humanitarian.

The show is free to stations. All they have to do is carry the syndicator's
commercials... there is no compensation for them to the stations, only the
network.

And since nearly nobody listens to that show on skywave, the need for
many hundreds of affiliates is real.

Oh yeah baby, all those millions of nobodies.

The main audience is in areas where there is a good groundwave signal on AM.
I doubt there are more than a few thousand, nationally, listening to
skywave. And the whole show does not have "millions of listeners."

Hey David, got that spare $750K? It is very little money you know so I
know you will not miss it.

You still don't seem to get that this is a tiny amount for most
corporations.... it is the gross sales for 6 months of one single average
McDonalds.