First recorded activity by RadioBanter: Jul 2006
Default Revisiting the Power Explanation

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 22:57:48 GMT, Walter Maxwell wrote:

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 22:06:35 GMT, Owen Duffy wrote:

I don't recall seeing experimental
results to convincingly demonstrate that the PA is a linear source,
though I have seen those that suggest otherwise. If the source cannot be
proven to be sufficiently close to a linear source, then the basis for
arguing the implicit conjugate match dissolves.

Owen, despite our previous discussion, I have explained many times that even though the PA source upstream of
the tank circuit is non-linear (and no one's saying it isn't), the energy storage in the tank makes the output
of the tank a linear source, no matter what the shape of the current wave form may be at the input. The output
of the tank is proved linear because the voltage/current ratio at the output is non-varying and the shape of
the voltage and current wave forms are essentially sine waves. Consequently, the output circuit can be
represented by a Thevenin source that supports both a conjugate match and the maximum power transfer theorem.

Are you now denying that the output of a PA with the routine Q of 10 to 12 is not substantially a sine wave?
If you agree that it is a sine wave, then why are you arguing that there is no basis for a conjugate match?

However, none of the responses above respond to the issue of why the reflected power does not cause heating of
the amp, which is what my treatise was all about.

Walt, W2DU

In the fourth line in the first paragraph above the word 'time' was inadvertantly omitted. It should have read
....the output is non-time varying and the shape...

Sorry about that,

Walt, W2DU