Old March 20th 07, 10:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Dave Dave is offline

Default HQ-180 for $450?

Jon Teske wrote:

SNIPPED

Of course the Ranger was advertised as a 75 watt radio, but virtually
every transmitter was rated by input back then (plate voltage times
plate current, key down.) Slightly under 50% efficiency was pretty
good. I think my first transmitter, a Heath AT-1, rated at 30 watts
(or was it 25) only put out about 7 watts. We didn't even have a QRP
hobby then. I guess I was ahead of my time in 1956 as a 13 year old
Novice. Its amazing what I actually worked with that rig...and a
Hallifcrafters S-38D for a receiver. ...

SNIPPED
My first transmitter was also a Heath AT-1. I had 8 watts output on 10 meters.
Worked WAS on 10 meters with that radio and it was crystal controlled on ~28.8
Mc [AKA MHz]. That was when WAS only required 48 states :-)

I was a little older than you when I got my license. Memory is foggy, but I was
about 15 years old. My receiver was the National SW-54 [National's poor version
of the S-38D].

Ah! The olden days ... today, IC-756P3, IC-746, AL-80B, IC-706 MKIIg, multiple
antennas, retired [plenty of time], and rebuilding a 'nostalgia station', ca
1958-1960.