Old March 21st 07, 05:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dan Bloomquist Dan Bloomquist is offline

Default Revisiting the Power Explanation

Keith Dysart wrote:

You are certainly correct; many people believe in reflected power,
though I've
always found that to be a poor basis for my own beliefs.

You have also provided the classic example where the numerology works
and 'reverse power' offers a tidy explanation. I am sure this neat
example is
the basis for many people's belief.

Belief has nothing to do with it. Observations suffice. If you have any
doubt that EM radiation can be reflected, just look in a mirror. Did you
need to 'believe' you saw your reflection to confirm your observation?

What drove me to look at alternate explanations for these kinds of
examples
was that the 'reverse power' explanation fails miserably when the
power
gets back to the generator.

Red Herring. There is no 'failure' in the accounting of reflected power.
The observations and numbers work out quite nicely.