Old March 21st 07, 09:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Keith Dysart Keith Dysart is offline

Default Revisiting the Power Explanation

On Mar 21, 4:30 pm, Dan Bloomquist wrote:
Keith Dysart wrote:
On Mar 21, 3:06 pm, (Richard Harrison)
wrote:

Bird says of its Model 43 Wattmeter: "Experience using the "Thruline"
Wattmeter for transmitter tune-up, antenna matching, etc. (i.e. on
operating problems), shows that the power ratio is as useful in practice
as the VSWR."

One can see reflected power disappear at the transmitter terminals as a
match is made to the transmitter load. That eliminates stress on the
transmitter from reverse power.

I suggest that a more accurate description would read:
"One can see the indication on the meter go to zero at the transmitter
terminals as the match is made to the transmitter load".

Then, you have never matched with a reflection. Without the experience,
how can you make a claim? You have not made the observation yet you
claim what it 'should' be.

I may have misunderstood, but I thought that when Richard said "see
reflected power disappear" he was observing the Bird Wattmeter
mentioned
in his previous paragraph and watching its indication go to zero. If
this
is not what was meant, then I need elaboration.

Otherwise, I think I said the same as Richard in different (and,
arguably
more precise) words.

....Keith