Old March 21st 07, 05:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David Eduardo David Eduardo is offline

Default Sounds of digital

"Telamon" wrote in message

Can I field this one? Our AFN satellite receivers have to update
themselves
every few months. AFN sends the updates down from the bird and the
receiver
downloads and installs them. I'm no fan of IBOC, of course, but I see no
reason that the ASIC (not knowing the particulars of the chip) couldn't
be
designed to do the same (Flash RAM or some such).

To bad for the rest of us you had to answer that question. I wanted to
see David fumble it. Spoiler.

Most of the algorithm and codec changes have been one sided... and all of
them have been since ver. 2 of the design specs were released last year
prior to the "Official" launch of HD in June. What has been changed, per our
engineers who looked at the update bulletins, with some frequency is the
system that distributes content in the individual digital sidebands, to make
it even less error prone, and certain one-sided codec changes on the AM
audio (this may just be iBiquity saying they polished the code a bit). It
all constitutes fine tuning at this stage.