Old October 29th 03, 06:34 PM
Jerry

"Thierry" Thierry, see http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry/ wrote in message

"Jerry" wrote in message
.. .

"Reg Edwards" wrote in message
The moral is - DON'T USE A G5RV.

Yup! I bought one in the late 80s and found that it was the craziest

acting
thing I had ever used! It most often
drove my Yaesu tuner bonkers; other times it would
settle down to an "acceptable" SWR. I fiddled with it
for a summer, and finally threw it out.

Hi,

Sorry to say that but you experimented a bad experience.

Who else has had non-success with this antenna?

or have not enough
knowledge to use it properly.

Wanna BET? I've been doing this stuff since I was a child of 8--trying to
get everything from a window screen to
work to all sorts of wires and verticals. I learned from
quite a few mistakes. Like wondering why I couldn't tune
in those "Donald Duck" sounds (was SSB, but I was too
young and new to know that). Or pretending that those
heterodynes were airplane engines and I was a bomber
pilot (drove my Mom crazy! and also led me to learn to
fly!

Just because something doesn't work for *me* does not
make me an idiot. If it works for you, FINE! If it doesn't
happen to work for me, that's fine, too. I didn't like the antenna, it made
my Yaesu tuner go nuts, did things that
couldn't be explained by usual antenna theory, and I shucked it.

Jerry
K4KWH

I know several OM in ON that use G5RV, W3DZZ and alike, and even longwire

of
about 20-30m that have similar results than mine.
And if the G5RV is always sold (thare a dozen variantes, see my website)
after decades, there is a good reason : this is because it works well !

Never hear on bands OM working with dipole and G5RV ? There are a lot !
better, G5RV offer you the best quality/price ratio !

73's

Thierry
ON4SKY

I then made me a
75 M doublet fed with ladder line. .......it's still up there.

Jerry
K4KWH

Specially one with any coax in the feedline.

If you've bought one, you've been robbed.

Use a random length dipole, longer than about 1/3 of the wavelength at

the
lowest frequency of interest. Choose a length which makes best use of

the
size of your backyard. Take the 450 or 600-ohm balanced line all the

way
back to the shack. You will need a tuner and a choke balun at the

tuner.
For multi-band operation you will need a tuner whatever you do.

If you find it inconvenient to feed the dipole in the middle, and you

have
relatively low local noise level, then feed it at one end and make an
Inverted-L of it. It will then very likely work very well also on 160
metres.

And you will never think of using a G5RV again !

By the way - Louis Varney, G5RV, a real genuine English gentleman,

now
no
longer with us, designed his antenna to work most efficiently ONLY on

14.15
MHz, perhaps the best day-or-night, all-year-round, any part of the

sun-spot
cycle, DX frequency. It's very good. And you may not need tuner even

with
the coax. Works great with the old fashioned TS-520 with its built-in

tuner
!
----
Reg, G4FGQ