Old March 22nd 07, 10:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John Smith I John Smith I is offline

Default Some ideas ...

John Smith I wrote:

[...]

I hear, "Been there, done that."

However, Cecil has made the comparison of optics and RF (well, he has
been the most vocal on the subject), and I do NOT dispute that there are
similarities, indeed, they may well be "one and the same." I am neither
a believer that they are, nor do I favor that they are not ... the fact
that rf behaves both as a wave and as "photons" is NOT denied ... but,
a 20,000 cycle freq can be generated by, both, a musical instrument and
a vlf osc ... one can be received by the ear, the other cannot, the
other can be received by a receiver, the other cannot ... (and yes, I do
understand about "air vibrations" and the vibrations in the EM
spectrum!--and that the two spectrums' overlap!)

However, we have not really "seen" how rf is "launched" forth from our
antennas--how it interfaces with "nothing" (or, ether) or is escaping as
bundles of photons ...

I understand the use of field strength meters, gauss meters, etc. But
still, it is not the same as "seeing." An example might be a light
meter(s)/thermometer(s) in a room telling me about a light source--but
it isn't quite the same as opening the door of that room and viewing the
light source directly, to walk the room with mirror, prism, polarizer,
magnifier, etc. in hand.

I have even went and purchased thousands of surplus neon bulbs and
strung them on mono-filament lines about an antenna, placed neon bulbs
from them and made observations on 1W-1KW+ of power to a monopole (the
energy of youth is better expended that way--I mean, it beats hanging
out in bars!--but then girls took over :-P ) I always wished I had that
roomful of neon (or other excitable gas.) I have taped the neons to
coax and observed the flow of rf on the outer connector ...

I have seen a large neon bulb in a microwave and the patterns formed in
the gas ... and it only left me dreaming of the "neon room" and full
sized antennas in such ... (yes, vhf-uhf-shf if you can't afford a BIG
room.)

I would just like to view what I proposed in the original post to this
thread, good definition pics would suffice ... yanno, a pic is worth a
thousand words ... perhaps it has been done in another country?

Oh well, one has to have something to think about ... I really have a
hard time believing (taking a "leap of faith") until I have actually
seen something, it is like that for me--but then, you already knew that
.... bad as that is, I am quite comfortable with it ...

Warmest regards,
JS