Old March 23rd 07, 09:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Keith Dysart Keith Dysart is offline

Default Revisiting the Power Explanation

On Mar 21, 11:48 pm, Cecil Moore wrote:
Keith wrote:
For some years now, you have been arguing the reality of 'reverse
power'.

Nope, for the last few years I have been arguing the
reality of a reverse or reflected EM energy wave. Energy
is what moves and is the essence of an EM wave moving
at the speed of light. All I am arguing is the validity
of the distributed network reflection model, something
that has stood the test of time for a century or so.

But there are some challenges to the premise of 'reverse power':
- where does the 'reverse power' go?
- why does the change in dissipation of a generator when 'reverse
power' changes depend more on the design of the generator than
on the magnitude of the 'reverse power'?

Reflected energy waves obey the principles of conservation
of energy and superposition some of which is discussed in
my WorldRadio energy article at:

http://www.w5dxp.com/energy.htm

I would suggest that you try trodding this path. Make a list of
phenomena that you think are explained by 'reverse power'.

Actually, "reflected energy" rather than "reverse power".
Here is very close to an experiment we did at Texas A&M
during the 50's. We observed the ghosting and the professor
explained reflected energy waves to us.

TVSG-----1000 feet 450 ohm ladder-line---75 ohm TV RCVR

If the TV Signal Generator is not equipped with a circulator
to get rid of the reflected energy wave, ghosts will appear on
the TV RCVR. The ghosts are exactly where they should be if
reflected wave energy exists. How would you explain the
ghosting?

Ghosting is explained by reflected voltages and currents.

I notice that you frequently use this example, unfortunately
never completing the analysis.
Since you leave it unspecified, let me choose the
output impedance of the TVSG to be 450 Ohms. Now there is
'reverse power' in the ladder line but no ghosts. Where did
the 'reverse power' go such that it does not produce ghosts?

If it is re-reflected, then it is a delayed copy of the original,
i.e. a ghost. So where does it go? Seems to me there is only
two ways and the way that does not produce a ghost is into the
generator, so we need an accounting of this power within the
generator, iff it is real power.

Of course there is no issue once you let go of the notion of
'reverse power'. The reverse voltage and current pass into
the generator since the generator is matched to the line and
nothing is reflected.

And since multiplying reverse voltage by reverse current does
not, in general, produce a real power, there is no power to
account for.

But, again, to argue that 'reverse power' is real, it becomes
necessary to explain where it went.

You could start by providing a list of phenomena for which you
think the reality of 'reverse power' is the only viable explanation
and offer a willingness to learn about alternative explanations.

Please see above. And please abandon the words, "reverse
power" in favor of reverse or reflected EM energy wave.

Love to, once it is no longer used as an explanation for these
phenomena. Simply changing the name to something else won't help.

....Keith