Old March 24th 07, 10:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jimmie D Jimmie D is offline

Default Nutty Antenna Idea -- Complete with Rhetorical Questions

"Sal M. Onella" wrote in message
I have two multiband trap verticals They are not exactly the same, but
close. Obviously they're intended to be mounted vertically above a
ground.

What happens if I mount them horizontally, base-to base? If I feed one
with
coax as designed, would it see the other one as a counterpoise? Could I
remove any base matching components and feed them both with a 1:1 balun,
in
effect duplicating the function of a horizontal wire trap dipole?

I'm really impressed with the lower noise of a horizontal antenna. Screw
the directionality drawbacks of a horizontal! I can hear more stations.

I am having great fun with HF. My 10 meter copper pipe dipole is laying
on
the roof with one element extended using a short clip lead and some RG-6
TV
coax. Tonight, my Kenwood TS-120 reached out from San Diego for a QSO with
New Zealand on 20 meters, my first contact outside this hemisphere. Neat.

"Sal"
(really KD6VKW)

What you would have is a trap dipole, a fairly common antenna. With out
seeing the antennas I am not sure how the twoo different types would
intereact but its worth a try. You will probably need a tuner.